While pinning on Pinterest, I discovered a pin with 18 Things Mentally Strong People Do (courtesy of Forbes.com). It sums up actions people take to have strength and resilience.
18 Things Mentally Strong People Do
- They move on. They don’t waste time feeling sorry for themselves.
- They keep control. They don’t give away their power.
- They embrace change. They welcome challenges.
- They stay happy. They don’t complain. They don’t waste energy on things they can’t control.
- They are kind, fair and unafraid to speak up. They don’t worry about pleasing other people.
- They are willing to take calculated risks. They weigh the risks and benefits before taking action.
- They invest their energy in the present. They don’t dwell on the past.
- They accept full responsibility for their past behaviors. They don’t make the same mistakes over and over.
- They celebrate other people’s success. They don’t resent that success.
- They are willing to fail. They don’t give up after failing. They see every failure as a chance to improve.
- They enjoy their time alone. They don’t fear being alone.
- They are prepared to work and succeed on their own merits. They don’t feel the world owes them anything.
- They have staying power. They don’t expect immediate results.
- They evaluate their core beliefs. –and modify as needed.
- They expend their mental energy wisely. They don’t spend time on unproductive thoughts.
- They think productively. They replace negative thoughts with productive thoughts.
- They tolerate discomfort. They accept their feelings without being controlled by them.
- They reflect on their progress every day. They take time to consider what they’ve achieved and where they are going.
This list can be used to identify what you already do and which areas could use improvement. Before making changes, observe yourself for the next day or so. Pay attention to when you are able to be mentally strong as well as times when you slip or get stuck.